What happened on January 6th, 2021 never should have happened. However, it is an opportunity to make some significant, major changes. The separation of powers must be reasserted and maintained. A proper system of ‘checks and balances’ must be restored.
- Eliminate the electoral college. Every vote must count equally.
- The President should serve one 6-year term. The President must focus on making the country a better place, not on being re-elected.
- The President should be sworn into office and assume power within one month of the election. 2 ½ months is too long.
- There should be 20-year term limits for Senators, Representatives, and Federal judges including Supreme Court justices.
- Eliminate Presidential pardons. The President should not have the power to prevent family and political supporters from being prosecuted for violations of the law. For those serving sentences, there is an impartial judicial review process in place. The Executive branch should not usurp the power of the Judiciary.
- Executive orders that enact new legislation should not exist. The Constitution grants the power to make laws to the Legislative branch of the government. The Executive branch should not usurp the power of the Legislature.
- Campaign finance reform must be enacted to strictly limit the influence of corporate interests on the election process.
We now have an opportunity to put the last four years behind us, but we need to learn from what happened. Trump didn’t invent these systems, but he exploited them to his personal advantage. We need to make changes now, so something like this could not happen in the future.