February 4, 2016
Barry Segal, Founder of Segal Family Foundation & Focus for Health
In my life I have had friends that have died suddenly within spitting distance of 50 years old. They were healthy men who have died instantly with no warning. Everyone I talk to gives me another example.
- In roughly 1960, my wife’s father went to the dentist in the morning, didn’t feel well when he left, went downstairs, and at 11:00 am died of a massive heart attack. He was in good shape and was a social drinker. He was 51.
- Roughly 1967, a policeman came to the office about 1:00pm and told my secretary her father died of a massive heart attack. He was 51.
Because of these two instances, I was aware and noticed many similar occurrences through the years. If I asked the age, it was usually in spitting distance of 51.
The problem is: these people probably never visited a cardiologist and the cardiologist might not be aware.
I feel the massive heart attack might be predictable and I hope it can be avoided.
Has anyone else had these experiences?
Join the Conversation
your thoughts matter
Other examples. . .
- Christopher George (actor and Vanna White’s uncle) died of a sudden heart attack at the age of 52 in 1983.
- Jim Fixx was a fitness expert who wrote books on running and managing a healthy diet. He died in 1984 at 52 from a sudden heart attack while on his routine morning jog.
- Actor Christopher Stone died at age 53 died of massive heart attack in 1995.
- Robert Palmer, the rock star, died suddenly in 2003 at the age of 54 although he had just been cleared by a doctor to tour.
- Brian Maxwell, co-founder of the Power Bar and avid runner, collapsed in a local Post Office and died of a heart attack in 2004 at the age of 51. Cause of death was a heart attack.
- Miguel Contreras was an urban labor leader. In 2005, he collapsed suddenly and died in LA at the age of 52 from a sudden heart attack.
- A friend’s son-in-law, who was in excellent shape and worked out regularly, died of a massive heart attack. He was 51.
- A friend’s girlfriend mentioned that her husband died many years ago in his sleep. He was only 54 years old and died suddenly.
- February 18th 2014: John Henson (son of legendary Jim Henson) died suddenly of a massive heart attack while at home. He was 48 years old.
- A friend was on a vacation/ski trip when her 48 year old father (healthy, very fit) collapsed at the top of the mountain. Dead in minutes. This happened about 15 years ago.